Tuesday, July 16, 2013

How To: Wooden Glitter Monogram

Y'all, this is one of my favorite DIY projects I have ever done.  It was easy, inexpensive, and SO DANG ADORABLE!  I recently posted about my newest shopping addiction, Very Jane, and this is where I found the wooden monogram.

I looked all over Pinterest to find a tutorial but everything I found was on Etsy and it was already made.  I had the basic idea on how to do it but I decided to message one of the Etsy sellers and Inscribed Monograms graciously gave me some great tips!


Supplies:

-Unfinished Wooden Monogram (Mine was 12 in. but you can use any size)
Like I said, I purchased mine from Very Jane but the deal is over.  I have seen them on their site since but I am sure you can easily buy this online somewhere.
-1 Can of White Spray Paint (or any other color. It will be visible on the sides)
-Mod Podge
-Extra Fine Glitter (My color was called Raspberry and the brand was Recollections)
Michael's had so many more options than Hobby Lobby for colors. I was told that Martha Stewart brand was good too.
-Clear Enamel
-Paint Brush


The directions are below.  I have taken a pictures of the steps and you can find them following the directions.
  1. Spray your monogram with the spray paint.  The spray paint will only show on the sides of the monogram so make sure the sides are well covered.  I only needed to do two coats without sanding.  There were little pieces of wood on the edges that I just picked off.
  2. Once the spray paint is dried, paint the mod podge on the top of the monogram.  I did this in sections or else the mod podge will dry before you can apply the glitter.
  3. Pour an ample amount of glitter on the section of mod podge.  You can immediately knock the loose glitter off.
  4. Continue until the entire monogram is covered in glitter.  You will have to go back and touch up the spots where the glitter didn't stick to the mod podge.
  5. Let dry for 24 hours.
  6. Spray with the clear enamel.  This sets the glitter so any loose pieces don't fall off.  I sprayed the sides as well.
  7. Find a cute ribbon and tie a loop around the top and hang with a nail on the wall!
This is the wooden monogram before I spray painted it.

I did the mod podge and glitter in sections.
This is the spray enamel I used.
The finished product!  The ribbon I found is perfect to hang it up!
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or comment on this post.  I will do my best to help you!  Also, if you decide to try it out, send me a link to your finished product!  I would love to post it on this post!  Good luck. :)

1 comment:

Liz(a) said...

This is cute! Monograms seem to be the newest trend these days. :p

My Photo
Welcome to my corner of the Internet! My name is Elle & I'm a college student & AΦ sister enjoying life. I'm studying Public Relations in hopes of one day becoming a wedding planner. I'm a follower of Christ, I love a good party, the Kansas Jayhawks, & all things all things PINK! I'm a Pinterest addict & I love a good DIY project. Sit back a stay awhile. Be awesome, love Jesus.


The Princess Diaries

Instagram

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved
Blogging tips